Sure they don't like Xbox (they're too small to hold the controls, duh) but they do like to play and explore whilst you sleep at night. Even if you have a wheel, it isn't enough I'm afraid. However, toys can be expencive and pointless. You can't half buy some gimmicky toys for your hamster which just ends up at the bottom of the cage untouched. It's easy to make toys and you're only limited by your imagination but here are some good, cheap, homemade toys that you can offer your pet!
No, you're hamster won't be pulling the hamster cracker for a nice bang, rubbish toy and an even worthless joke. All you will need for this is:
This toy is fun for all species of hamster so lets get cracking! Get it? Cracking... Cracker? Oh never mind...
1. Cut lines down the toilet tube about 1.5cm apart, like so:
2. Fold the tabs inwards, tucking the last one under the first one.
3. Fill the tube with bedding and treats. Your hamster will cheek the treats and use the bedding to customise his nest!
4. Repeat steps 1 & 2 for the other end of the tube and TA-DA!! Your very own hamster cracker!
Thanks to Geniverger for this!
As the name suggests, this is a ball full of treats for hamsters. It is easy to make and is suitable for all hamster types. The creator of this project is unknown, however, it is Jane who did all the photography and instructions. Charlie is the possing Syrian. Thanks to Jane and Charlie!
You will need:
- 1 toilet roll tube
- 1 dog biscuit
- 1 pair of scissors
1) Using the scissors, cut the toilet roll tube into strips. I like to do it into about 6 peices, otherwise I find they are either too wide or too narrow.
2) Using two of the strips, push one into the other so they are starting to form a ball shape.
3) Next, pick up another strip and slot this over the ball you've already made.
4) Push the dog biscuit into the ball.
5) Take the next cardboard strip, and slot this over the ball.
And there you have your treat ball :wink: If you've been adding up as you went along, then you will have noticed there are two strips left. I personally only use this many because I think it's makes a good amount for the hamster, it's not too many so that they can't get in, and I struggle to fit more around it. However, if you want then you can put on the next two strips too.